Capital Digestive Care
Job Title: Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Code: Department: Divisional
Job Purpose: An exempt position responsible for practicing medicine with physician supervision including conducting examinations and writing prescriptions. Contributes to the physician’s effectiveness by identifying short-term and long-range patient care issues that must be addressed; providing information and commentary pertinent to deliberations; recommending options and courses of action; implementing physician directives.
- Assesses patient health by interviewing patients; performing physical examinations; obtaining, updating and studying medical histories
- Determines abnormal conditions by administering or ordering diagnostic tests, such as x-rays, sonograms and other laboratory studies; interpreting test results
- Monitors and documents therapies and provides continuity of care by charting in patient electronic medical records
- Instructs and counsels patients by descripting therapeutic regimens; promoting wellness and health maintenance
- Triages patient calls or emails through the secure patient portal; evaluates patient problems
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols
- Complies with federal, state and local legal and professional requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
- Contributes to a team effort
Supervisory Responsibilities: Reports to Practice Manager, Supervising Physician
Qualification Requirements: In order to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and regular attendance is required. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Good understanding of CPT and ICD-10 codes and Modifiers
- Good knowledge of Medical Insurance plans
- Should be able to work in both a team and individual environment
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Computer skills
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree and successful completion of accredited program. Four years of health care experience prior to applying to a physician assistant or nurse practitioner program, plus one year of experience as a physician assistant or nurse practitioner.
Certifications/Licenses: National certification from the National Commission on Certifications of physician assistant. Must log 100 hours of continuing medical education every two years and sit for recertification every six years. State physician assistant license required. State DEA and CDS license required
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Working knowledge of the following:
- Knowledge of medical model and roles of physicians and physician assistants. Familiar with anatomy, pharmacology, pathophysiology, clinical medicine and physical diagnosis with special attention relation to Gastroenterology
- Knowledge of patient assessment techniques including taking medical histories, performing physicals, evaluating health status including state of wellness, and compliance with care recommendations
- Knowledge of diagnosing and treating medical problems and developing care plans.
- Knowledge of documentation in electronic medical records in a confidential manner
- ICD-10 and CPT coding – with a focus on Gastroenterology codes
Demonstrating skills of the following:
- Skill in gathering and analyzing physiological, socioeconomic, and emotional patient data
- Skill in accurately evaluating patient problems in person or via phone and providing appropriate advice, intervention, or referral
- Skill in developing/revising patient care plan based on patient status
- Problem Solve, prioritize
- Multitask and be detail oriented
- Use Active Listening Skills
- Work independently as well as a in a team environment
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Communicate effectively with patients, co-workers and physicians
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time. Fluency in English (spoken and written) is required. The employee is required to use dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and other office equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to focus.
Work Environment: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee works in a clinical office environment and is exposed to a patient health issues daily. Before and after hour meetings are required. Some travel is required; the employee may travel by automobile and is exposed to the changing weather conditions.