Annual Report – 2011
November 22, 2011
The National Organization of Nurses with Disabilities (NOND) is the Voice of Disability in Nursing. Our all-volunteer, charitable, non-profit organization has an important role in identifying and addressing barriers to the successful education, employment, and nursing practice of individuals who experience disabilities or chronic conditions.
NOND 2011 Accomplishments
- Provided representation to the National Disability Leadership Alliance Employment Team on writing non-legislative recommendations, including a recommendation promoting healthcare careers for citizens and veterans with disabilities to the Obama Administration.
- Established a presence with national organizations by supporting numerous initiatives impacting national policy associated with healthcare and Medicaid reform and initiatives.
- Co-sponsored with the U.S. Department of Labor Office of Disability Employment Policy the Healthcare Careers for People with Disabilities: Career Trends, Best Practices and Call-to-Action Summit in May 2011. Three NOND Directors presented and one served as a planning consultant on healthcare careers project.
- Co-sponsored and participated at the successful ADAPT My Medicaid Matters rally in Washington, DC in September, 2011.
- Presented NOND’s Capacity Building Workshop for nursing and allied health professions students with disabilities at Cabarrus College of Health Sciences in North Carolina (March) and Columbia University School of Nursing (July).
- Continued involvement of our all-volunteer board experts for the following:
1) responding to increasing number of requests for information related to disability and accommodation in nursing, 2) providing resources to higher education faculty and employers, and 3) offering support for disability research.
- Updated our website at www.NOND.org, as well as established social media presence on Facebook and Twitter.
- Elected six new members to NOND Board of Directors.
- Initiated discussion with the U.S. Department of Labor Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) for NOND to establish an Alliance with ODEP.
In 2012, NOND will continue our mission of education, advocacy, and full inclusion at the local, state, national, and international levels. NOND will begin the new year with a panel presentation at the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) Fellows conference being held the end of January in San Antonio, Texas.
We need your help to continue opening doors for people with disabilities in nursing; and, we cordially invite you to contribute to our continuing work through:
- A tax-deductible donation. If you chose this option, please mail your check to:
National Organization of Nurses with Disabilities
c/o Erika Magallanes, MS
1640 West Roosevelt Road, Room 736
Chicago, IL 60608
- Membership in NOND. You can join online at www.NOND.org.
- Volunteering with NOND. We would appreciate the opportunity to work
with you to promote full inclusion of people with disabilities within the
Thank you so much for considering our request – we depend on your generosity to help NOND maintain and grow the number of services our organization provides. If we may assist you or your colleagues in any way, please contact us at email@example.com.
Beth Marks, RN, PhD – IL, Board President
NOND Board of Directors
Sarah Ailey, PhD, RN – IL, Treasurer
Parul Arora, BSN, RN – IL *
Stacey Carroll, PhD, RN – MA
Rosemary Ciotti, RN, MSN, CRNP – VA
Bronwynne Evans, PhD, RN – AZ, First Vice President
Benjamin Ginther, CNA – IL *
George Hamilton III, MPA – OR Bridgette Jenkins, RN, BSN, MSN—TX *
Michelle Kephart, BSN, RN, MSN – GA *
Karen J. McCulloh, RN, BS – IL, Immediate Past President & Presidential Appointee to the U.S. AbilityOne Commission
Deborah Naddeo, BSN, RN – PA *
Randall Ward, MA, CRC, LPC – MI *
* New NOND Board Director